For the identification of insects and other fauna and flora of South Africa.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Giant Mantis (Hoplocryphella grandis)

Family: Thespidae
 
 What a performance it was to try to capture the open wings of this unusual creature!!
 It would only do that if I touched it and by the time I had done so, picked up the camera again and focused, it had closed its wings!! LOL!! Anyway, I managed to get a couple of pictures to show you. J
They are large and sources say they grow up to 6cm in length but this one was closer to 10cm (4") and is the largest mantis I have ever seen.

They are attracted to lights at night and I found this one clinging to my door after I had switched on an outside light to see what it would attract.


Because they are so thin and their color blends in so well with the trees and shrubs, they are extremely hard to spot in this habitat.